Our Counselling and Career Centre have very helpful, knowledgeable and capable staff to assist students and parents with a wide variety of topics including personal concerns, school life and post secondary.
COUNSELLING CENTRE (2021-22)
Counsellors are available to assist students, parents and teachers. They help in many aspects of school life. Students are assigned to a counsellor alphabetically by surname.
The school counsellors are:
- Mr. K. Howlett A - He
- Ms. A. Jones Hi - Q
- Mrs. S. Sundell R - Z
The counsellors are trained to help with personal problems, course concerns, educational planning and career exploration. Counsellors are not involved in disciplining students and information shared with a counsellor is kept confidential. Except in cases of personal emergency, appointments are made. This ensures you will not have to wait too long to see the counsellor while they may be busy with other students.
Making An Appointment with Your Counsellor:
Given the present situation and new timetable system we have had to create new ways to connect with students.
In case of an emergency, please see your counsellor right away by coming straight to the counselling area. If their door is closed please sit and wait until somebody can see you.
Non-emergency appointments can be booked with your counsellor through the following methods:
- Drop by the counselling center before, during or after your classes – see your counsellor in person and ask to book an appointment.
- If your counsellor is unavailable, or you prefer, please email your counsellor (see contact details below) to set up an appointment. When doing so please include in your email:
- Your first and last name
- Your preference for a day 1 or day 2 appointment time
- If your appointment is regarding course scheduling or post-secondary related questions please indicate the topic or specific questions as this will help us to maximize the appointment time.
Please keep in mind that we would prefer that students book times outside of their scheduled classes within school hours Mon – Fri 8:30am-3:00pm. Also, please note Ms. Jones is not full time and so is not in school alternating Fridays.
On receipt of this request the counsellor will attempt to meet your request as best they can and send you confirmation of your appointment time.
- Mr. Howlett (A-He): firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ms. Jones (Hi-Q): email@example.com
- Ms. Sundell (R-Z): firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ms. Millar (Careers / Post-Secondary): email@example.com
(On-site Tuesday, Thursday, every other Friday)
Parents may also call a counsellor at 604-668-6600.
Should a student be experiencing a mental health emergency outside of school hours (Mon – Fri 8:30am -3:00pm) please refer to the details below:
As in all medical emergencies please call 911 if you have a serious and immediate concern for your own or someone’s safety, or go to your nearest emergency room.
Other lines of support include:
- The Foundry - https://foundrybc.ca/get-support/
- Crisis Line: 604 279 7070
- Youth in BC Chatroom: www.youthinbc.com
- Kids Help Line - 1 800 668 6868
- Chimo Community Services: www.chimoservices.co